en el sv

Archaeological Projects

The first Swedish archaeological campaign in Greece took place in 1894 when Sam Wide and Lennart Kjellberg undertook excavations at the Sanctuary of Poseidon at Kalaureia (today the island of Poros). Since then a total of 13 sites have been explored by Swedish archaeologists. Most of them are located in the Peloponnese, but fieldwork has also been conducted on Crete, in Central Greece and Thrace. Today three projects include active ongoing field seasons (at Kalaureia, Vlochos and Hermione) while studies of previously excavated material from several other sites are undertaken continuously.

Ongoing

Under Publication

Previous

Publications

The Swedish Institute at Athens publishes the results of its archaeological projects, conference proceedings and other original studies within the fields of Classical Archaeology, Ancient History, Art, Architecture and Philology, in its series Skrifter utgivna av Svenska Institutet i Athen. The periodical Opuscula, published yearly by the Swedish Institutes at Athens and Rome presents Swedish archaeological work carried out in the Mediterranean, but also welcomes original contributions regarding all aspects of the ancient Mediterranean world (Prehistory to Late Antiquity, including Philology) from an international scholarly community. Contributions are thoroughly peer-review and accepted articles become available with Open Access six months after publication. The publication process, in accordance with the highest editorial and publishing standards, is undertaken by Editorial Committee of the Swedish Institutes at Athens and Rome (www.ecsi.se).

The publications are distributed in print and in electronic format via http://ecsi.se See also:

Opuscula. Annual of the Swedish Institutes at Athens and Rome.

Opuscula Atheniensia.

Skrifter utgivna av Svenska institutet i Athen, 4˚.

Skrifter utgivna av Svenska institutet i Athen, 8˚.

For questions regarding the publication process contact the Editor at editor[at]ecsi[dot]se

Vlochos, Thessaly (2015– ongoing)

Greek-Swedish collaborative fieldwork in Western Thessaly

<p>Fig. 1: Map over the site of Vlochos (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).</p>

Fig. 1: Map over the site of Vlochos (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).

The archaeological site of Vlochos is situated three kilometres north of the town of Palamas in western Thessaly, and consists of the large hill of Strongilovouni and its immediate surroundings. An archaeological field programme (The Vlochos Archaeological Project) was carried out here in 2016–2018 as a collaboration between the Ephorate of Antiquities of Karditsa and the Institute, aiming at surveying the extensive multi-period ancient remains found here.

Kalaureia, Poros (1894 and 1997– ongoing)

Published: 05/05/2020

<p>Fig. 1: Map over the site of Kalaureia (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).</p>

Fig. 1: Map over the site of Kalaureia (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).

The Sanctuary of Poseidon on Kalaureia is located on the island of Poros in the Saronic Gulf, c. 6 km from Poros town. The site lies on a plateau between the hills of Aghios Elias and Vigla and holds a commanding position c. 200 m above sea level. To the north there is a visual connection with the Methana peninsula as well as the islands of Angistri and Aigina, while in the far distance it is possible to see Pireus and the coastline of Attica on clear days. To the south, the visitor can catch glimpses of the sea against the background of the steep Peloponnesian coast.

 

Asine, Argolid (1922, 1924, 1926, 1930, 1970–1974, 1976–1978, 1985, 1989–1990)

Published: 15/05/2020

<p>Fig. 1: Map over the site of Asine and its surroundings (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).</p>

Fig. 1: Map over the site of Asine and its surroundings (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).

The site of Asine is located c. 8 km south-west of today’s city of Nauplio. The ancient remains here are spread out over the top and slopes of the 330 m long and 50 m tall acropolis cliff jutting out into the Argolis bay, as well as on the Barbouna hill just to the west. On both sides of the acropolis there are beaches, the western one providing an excellent harbour. Across from the acropolis the island of Romvi functions as a breakwater, protecting the landing.

 

 

 

Malthi, Messenia (1926–1929, 1933–1934, 1952, 2015–2017)

Published: 24/04/2020

<p>Fig. 1: Map over the fortified settlement of Malti (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).</p>

Fig. 1: Map over the fortified settlement of Malti (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).

During the Bronze Age a flourishing community existed on and around Malthi, the northern spur of the mountain range of Ramovouni, located a few kilometers from the village Vasiliko in northern Messenia. On the ridge itself, c. 100 meter above the valley floor, a fortified Middle to Late Bronze Age settlement was situated. From here it had a splendid view of the valley which offered easy communications between inland Peloponnese and the coast.

Midea, Argolid (1939, 1963, 1983–2009)

Published: 18/05/2020

<p>Fig. 1: Map over the site of Midea (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).</p>

Fig. 1: Map over the site of Midea (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).

The acropolis of Midea and its important Late Bronze Age citadel is located on a 270 m tall conical hill in the Argolid, 1.5 km from the contemporary cemetery at Dendra and about midway between Tiryns and Mycenae. From the top of the hill, looking south and west the site offers a magnificent view of the Argive plain and gulf. To the north and east the tall inland mountains dominate the landscape. This view, making it possible to monitor the plain and its approaches, possibly contributed to the importance of the site during the Bronze Age.

 

 

 

 

Dendra, Argolid (1926–1927, 1937, 1939, 1960, 1962–1963)

Published: 06/05/2020

<p>Fig. 1: Map over the site of Dendra (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).</p>

Fig. 1: Map over the site of Dendra (Basemap: Google maps satellite image).

The village of Dendra is located about six km east of the town of Argos in the Argolid. The earliest remains here are of habitation during the Early Neolithic and Early Helladic periods in the form of building foundations and scattered pottery fragments. However, the site is more important archaeologically due to its Bronze Age cemetery, consisting of a tholos, three tumuli and 16 chamber tombs. Overall, it is one of the richest Mycenean cemeteries known. Presumably it was connected to the settlement at ancient Midea, located c. 1.5 km to the south east, although most Mycenean burial places are found closer to their settlements than this.

 

All texts in archive: 195

Recent by Category

Institute News

Research

Education

Culture

Publications

Alternative Archives

Archaeological Projects

Authors

Text Calendar

We use cookies. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies.

Accept cookies Find out more